Attorney at Law
Mr. Sasakura is primarily responsible for general corporate legal affairs, risk management, labor-related legal affairs, civil and commercial lawsuits and dispute resolution, corporate acquisitions (M&A), rehabilitation and bankruptcy procedures, support for small-to-medium and venture enterprises, IT-related legal services and intellectual property disputes (including trademarks, copyright and the Unfair Competition Prevention Act).
In recent years, he has worked on disputes relating to franchise systems (such as breaches of franchise agreements, breaches of information provision obligations and breaches of antimonopoly law), disputes involving outsourcing of the creation of information deliverables, such as website design, corporate acquisitions (including acquisitions of the pharmaceuticals department of a Japanese company, a game software maker, an automobile parts manufacturer, a developer and manufacturer of packaging systems for the automobile industry, an electronics parts manufacturer, specialized trading companies, a general building management company and a building air-conditioning management company), issues with joint research and development with university professors, debt recovery (priority rights for the sale of movables) and arrangements of debts for corporations and individuals.
Previous matters handled (reported cases)
• Tokyo District Court decision of April 15, 2002 (Hanrei Jihō, no. 1792, p. 129; Hanrei Taimuzu, no. 1098, p. 213)
Case granting copyright to a person who posted to a message board on a website
• Tokyo District Court decision of January 26, 2004 (Hanrei Jihō, no. 1847, p. 123; Hanrei Taimuzu, no. 1157, p. 267)
Case seeking the revocation of an arbitration award relating to the legality of a refusal to renew a license agreement
• Tokyo District Court decision of March 9, 2006 (Hanrei Jihō, no. 1948, p. 136; Hanrei Taimuzu, no. 1226, p. 204)
Case allowing that the person who prepared the patent specification is a joint inventor in a claim for compensation for an employee invention
- Attorney at law, Kageyama Law & Patent Office, 1999–2002
- Lecturer for Special Program for the Bar Examination, Waseda University Faculty of Law, 2001–2002
- Attorney at law, Kuroda Law Offices, 2002–Present
- Counsel since June 1, 2008
- Waseda University Faculty of Law, 1995
- Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court, 1999
- Passed the National Bar Examination of Japan, 1996
- Registered with Japan Federation of Bar Associations, Registered with Tokyo Bar Association; 51st term, 1999
- “All Things are Not Equal in Japan” in asialaw, vol. 1, no. 10 (April 2004).
- Japanese and English